Saturday, May 5, 2012

Butter Making

I have seen posts on homesteading blogs about butter making.  Pretty much everyone was using cream from fresh cow's milk.  Either from their own cow or a friend's.  I do not have a cow.  There are no cows where I live.  The next best thing is from the store. 

I decided to try my hand at butter making.  I thought what a great experiment for the girls and I to do.  I had table cream in the fridge.  I quickly discovered that 18% table cream was not going to work.  Off to the store we went, for the second time today.  I picked up two containers of whipping cream, the heaviest cream I could buy.  One of the containers was 50% off, so bonus! 

All I needed was the whipping cream and my mixer.  I did add a bit of salt, not much though.










See the final product?  It is a lot harder than what I was expecting it to be.  I think that it was cheaper to make it then to buy a pound of butter.  A pound of butter here costs around $6.

The girls really enjoyed watching the change in the cream.  Now they know how to make butter...at least one way of making it.

What adventures will tomorrow bring???????







3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is so neat, I had no idea you could make butter with the mixer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant! I don't have any cows either, so if I do this, I'd be relying on store bought cream. What did you think of the taste of your finished product as compared to commercial butter? And how much salt did you add to how much cream?

    ReplyDelete